Bookshop Santa Cruz is proud to introduce IndieBound-a movement started by independent bookstores across the country to celebrate the role of independent bookstores in communities and to promote shopping locally. This movement captures the passion that pours out of your local bookstore and unites kindred spirits everywhere who want to keep our community unique, keep our local economy strong, and who feel that where they shop can make a tremendous difference in what type of community they live in. Next time you are in the store, check out the Indie Bestseller List and the Indie Next List-both highlight titles that are popular amongst independent bookstores across the county. In the meantime, give yourself a pat on the back because this is what you have done by shopping locally:
IN YOUR COMMUNITY
1. You kept dollars in our economyFor every $100 you spend at one of our local businesses, $68 will stay in the community. What happens when you spend that same $100 at a national chain? Only $43 stays in the community.
2. You embraced what makes us uniqueYou wouldn't want your house to look like everyone else's in the U.S. So why would you want your community to look that way?
3. You created local jobsLocal businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
4. You helped the environmentBuying from a local business conserves energy and resources in the form of less fuel for transportation, less packaging, and products that you know are safe and well made, because we stand behind them.
5. You nurtured communityWe know you, and you know us. Studies have shown that local businesses donate to community causes at more than twice the rate of chains.
6. You conserved your tax dollarsShopping at a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money available to beautify our community. Also, spending locally instead of online ensures that your sales taxes are reinvested where they belong-right here in your community!
7. You created more choiceWe pick the books and gifts we sell based on what we know you like and want. Local businesses carry a wider array of unique products because we buy for our own individual market.
8. You took advantage of our expertiseYou are our friends and neighbors, and we have a vested interest in knowing how to serve you. We're passionate about what we do. Why not take advantage of it?
9. You invested in entrepreneurshipCreativity and entrepreneurship are what the American economy is founded upon. Nurturing local business ensures a strong community.
10. You made us a destinationThe more interesting and unique we are as a community, the more we will attract new neighbors, visitors, and guests. This benefits everyone!
IN YOUR COMMUNITY