Now Accepting Applications for Floor Manager
Bookshop Santa Cruz, a large independent bookstore located in Downtown Santa Cruz for 54 years, is seeking a Floor Manager candidate to manage our supervisor and floor staff team of 15-20 booksellers under the direction of our General Manager. The position includes 16 “off floor” hours for scheduling and other managerial tasks, plus 24 hours working on the sales floor as a supervisor for each shift. This position is part of Bookshop's leadership team and is a key component to making Bookshop Santa Cruz a central part of the community.
- Providing leadership for the sales floor and on Bookshop's management team
- Writing the permanent, weekly and daily schedule for the sales floor
- Hiring, training and managing our team of supervisors and booksellers including creating professional development opportunities
- Ensuring that the sales floor meets the diverse needs of our customers and staff
- Scheduling, coordinating and actively supervising the work that needs to be done on each shift
- Problem solving with staff and supervisors and upholding the policies of the store
- Providing positive acknowledgement and constructive feedback to booksellers including conflict resolution
- Upholding COVID safety protocols for customers and floor staff
- Coordination and communication with the General Manager and other departments, including payroll, on common tasks or issues
- Customer service including cashiering, recommending books, providing information and other tasks as needed.
- Proven leadership skills including a minimum of 2 years of supervisorial or management of a customer service setting
- Passion for books and knowledge of books a must
- Integrity and professionalism in all aspects of work
- Passionate about creating a strong team environment and sense of community
- Committed to setting store goals and objectives and working to exceed those goals
- Experience working with a diverse team
- Organized, efficient and detail oriented
- Excellent communication skills including conflict resolution
- Proficiency with Google Docs and the Microsoft suite
- Minimum one year commitment to the job
Rate of Pay: $23.00/hour or commensurate with experience. Includes dental and vision insurance, PTO, 401K, life insurance and generous employee discounts.
Schedule: 5 days/week, 9:30am-6:00pm (current), Saturdays required. Full availability required for holiday season.
Candidates must be willing to work in a public facing job during COVID and follow all CDC/County Health COVID guidelines including social distancing and wearing a mask for the entire shift. Applicants need to be able to perform frequent, repetitive movements, handling books and other merchandise, and operating computer and cashier terminals during busy times of the day standing for most of each shift.
Bookshop Santa Cruz staff is represented by the Communication Workers of America. This position is not in the bargaining unit.
Bookshop Santa Cruz embraces diversity and equal opportunity in our workplace. We are committed to building a management team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Bookshopscjobs@gmail.com. Please include a short video of yourself recommending a book that you loved.